St James Church
Purpose of Job:
To manage the effective stewardship of our physical resources and assets through the smooth running of all operational support for all regular church services, events, and general use of our buildings. You will also take the lead in ensuring that we are compliant with relevant legislation so that our working practices, ministries, facilities are fit for use in a welcoming and safe environment. We expect you to seek out and apply best practice from church administrator networks and other organisations and keep up to date with developments in this field.
Context: Full time 40 hours mainly Monday to Friday. You may, however, be required for significant church services e.g. Christmas Day and occasional evenings with time off in lieu
Salary: £30,000 to £35,000 depending on relevant experience
- Oversight of administration of church ministry
- Event management
- Buildings and facilities
- Governance, compliance and reporting
- Support systems
All staff members are expected to participate in staff prayer and weekly staff devotionals as a means of deepening faith in God and fellowship with one another.
St James is an evangelical church in the Church of England. The Church of England Evangelical Council’s Basis of Faith and Additional Declarations best describes the doctrinal position of the church leadership. http://www.ceec.info/basis-of-faith.html . The post-holder will be required to agree with the church’s mission, vision, values, and doctrinal beliefs.
St James is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All post holders are expected to share this commitment.
Our safeguarding policy is available on our website https://st-james.org.uk/about-us/safeguarding
You will need to attend all relevant safeguarding training and work according to our safeguarding policy. This post is subject to a Basic DBS check.
- A mature Christian with a passion for God and the work of the local church.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding and experience of management and administration in practice and as a spiritual gift forming a key part in the life of St James’ ministry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to relate with warmth and compassion to people of all ages and backgrounds with staff, volunteers and church family.
- Highly organised with good time management. Ability to juggle and prioritise tasks; who can make progress on larger projects and regular tasks against a backdrop of interruptions and pressing issues.
- Imaginative and creative approach to problem solving, while having an eye for care and detail across all tasks and projects. A ‘completer finisher’.
- Ability to coach, develop and motivate staff and volunteers.
- High competence with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable with learning new technologies, software and hardware.
- Experience of office management or administration in churches.
- Proficiency with church database software e.g. Church Suite.
- Experience of dealing with contractors and suppliers.
- Experience of developing and managing policies.
- Experience of building management.
- Knowledge of GDPR.
- Awareness of issues relating to the good stewardship of natural resources and care for the natural environment.
- Willingness to become a committed member of St James church family.
There is a Genuine Occupational Requirement (GOR) that the post-holder is a practising Christian. Schedule 9 of the Equality Act 2010 applies.
We envisage that someone with the right willingness and sensitivities will be able to grow into the role. Applicants who feel that they do not meet all the desirable criteria are still encouraged to apply.
Applications and Interview process
Non-UK Citizens applicants must already possess a right to work in the UK. We cannot sponsor visas.
We encourage all potential applicants to get in touch with the line manager, Mark Murthen, to arrange an informal chat (email@example.com).
We also invite you to visit our Sunday Services either in person or online – see our website for details (st-james.org.uk).
To apply for this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form.
Closing date: Application forms need to be returned by 6 June 2022. Please note that applications without the form will not be considered for this role.
Interviews in week beginning 13 June 2022, with the possibility of a second interview stage at a mutually agreeable date.