VOLUNTEER TRAINEE INSTRUCTOR
An amazing opportunity for enthusiastic Christian people aged 18+ to join our team. This is a volunteer programme where we ask people to commit to supporting the work of CMC Adventure for 2 years through serving people and investing in the outdoors. You will work alongside a professional team of qualified instructors gaining experience and qualifications along the way.
3 words to best describe the volunteer Trainee Instructor programme at CMC Adventure:
INVEST : SERVE : QUALIFY
- Invest in your future - gain skills and qualifications leading to a career in the outdoors.
- Invest in yourself through being immersed in the outdoor environment, enjoying the benefits the outdoors can give you.
- Invest in a Christian Charity providing “opportunities for adventure and outdoor education in a welcoming and inclusive Christian environment”
- Invest in others through the life enriching work of CMC Adventure.
- Invest in your faith as part of a Christian team.
- Serve the team. The team is at its strongest when team members are supported by other team members.
- Serve the guests by making them feel welcome, always being willing to help, and by paying attention to the detail.
- Serve CMC Adventure. Be willing to do what is needed to ensure CMC is a centre of excellence.
- Serve God by serving each other, the guests and CMC Adventure.
- Being part of an outdoor residential centre goes well beyond the outdoors. Volunteer Trainee instructors are involved in a number of other aspects of centre life alongside their roles in the outdoors. These include:
- Going the extra mile for our guests
- Maintenance of the buildings and grounds
- Looking after equipment
- Cleaning the centres
- Kitchen duties
- Sharing your faith
Qualify as a multi-disciplined outdoor instructor with National Governing Body Awards and 2 years hands-on first-class experience.
- Outdoor First Aid
- Mountain Leader Summer
- Rock Climbing Instructor
- Foundation Safety and Rescue Training
- Sea Kayak Award
- Canoe Award
- Paddlesport Instructor
- Stand Up Paddle Board Support Module
CMC Adventure provides:
- Board and Lodging
- Expenses allowance
- High quality in-house training to prepare for qualifications and working with groups
- Equipment specifically for the use of Trainee Instructors ensuring that they have everything they need to complete qualifications.
- Support with administration
- Support with preparation for formal training and assessment courses
- Support with the progression from trainee to leader
A committed Christian staff team: One of CMC Adventure’s charitable objectives is “to advance the Christian Faith” (Mem and Arts), written in 1966 when the Charity was set up. This objective remains unchanged and our Vision today is “to encourage young people and adults to develop an awareness of the wonders of God’s creation and to explore the Christian faith through exciting and challenging outdoor activities.” It is therefore an Occupational Requirement (Equality Act - part 1, schedule 9), that the post-holder is a committed Christian, and all staff are required to sign a Statement of Faith.
No previous experience required: You do not need to have any specific skills already to join as a trainee instructor, however you do need to know that you have a passion for the outdoors as you will spend a lot of time out there, rain or shine, and most of your training will take place in the winter. You will need to invest a lot of personal time to gain experience and refine your skills. An interest in learning how to rock climb, mountain walk and kayak / canoe so that you are able to help our guests enjoy these things is essential.
The role also requires a willingness to be involved in all aspects of life at CMC Adventure from instructing to domestic duties to maintenance. All staff undertake additional duties which enable the Centre to go that “extra mile” for our guests.
Programme start time: We have an intake in September every year, as much of the training happens between September and March. There are sometimes opportunities to begin the programme at a different time of year depending on your circumstances. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss joining the programme at a different time of year.
One year option: A commitment of 2 years is necessary to become qualified in the qualifications we offer. The first year is usually spent learning, gaining experience and consolidating training, with assessments in the second year so that you are as ready as possible. However, we are very open to having one-year volunteers and are happy to talk about a one-year option if that is all you have and you are interested in coming to us for one season. However, it is unlikely to include the completion of NGB assessments. Do get in touch if this may be of interest.
More information can be found here:
The next step is to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on 01341 241646 to request an application pack or ask us anything else you would like to know before applying.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!