Head of Ministry
Are you passionate about helping others to grow in their understanding of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ? Do you have a heart for sharing the gospel and helping others to do so in fresh and creative ways?
Founded in 1971, Abernethy Trust is comprised of three Centres in Scotland where we warmly welcome thousands of guests each year, combining outdoor activity, residential experience and Christian team witness. We are looking for the right person to oversee our Christian ministry to our staff, our guests and the wider communities of which our Centres are a part.
Our Christian faith lies at the heart of all that we do at Abernethy. We are motivated by our belief in a good and generous God who created an incredible natural world which shouts His praise. We believe that every person is unique, valuable and deeply loved by God and we love seeing people gain confidence and grow through being in the outdoors.
This is an exciting time in Abernethy’s history as we embrace a new season, confident that God has a purpose for us, and with the vision and drive to pioneer new opportunities. The Head of Ministry role is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to join us as we write the next chapter in the Abernethy story.
Our Prayer for a Head of Ministry
We are seeking God for someone who can offer the calling, gifts and experience outlined below:
- You have a passion to lead people to become committed disciples of Jesus, helping them to grow in their own faith and gain confidence in sharing it with others
- You carry a conviction that faithfulness to the gospel requires us to share the good news in both word and deed, and a desire to help others discover what that means for them, using their own unique gifting and abilities
- You will have a pastoral heart and a willingness and ability to support and encourage others
Gifts & Strengths
- You will be able to share the gospel in creative ways, bringing discipleship and the Bible alive to people of different ages and from a wide range of backgrounds
- You will be an excellent communicator, with an engaging presentational style and great interpersonal skills
- You will be able to initiate and implement new ideas and ways of doing ministry, bringing a fresh outlook and vision to this vital area of Abernethy’s work
- You will be able to work effectively with our guests and our staff team, including GAP year students, Trainee Instructors, senior staff and candidates on our new Abernethy Academy programme
- You will play a part in shaping the direction of the Trust by being part of the Abernethy Leadership Team and working closely with and supporting the CEO
Experience & Qualities
- A mature Christian faith and experience of spiritual leadership
- Experience of leading, inspiring and developing a team, preferably in a residential Christian setting
- Experience in delivering talks, sermons and seminars
- Experience in partnering with and working alongside churches and other Christian ministries
- You will be a positive Christian role model, a consistent presence for the team and an ambassador for Jesus Christ
We would also love you to have
- A qualification in Christian Ministry
- Worked in missional teams where you live alongside others, and therefore an understanding of the dynamics of our residential context
- Excellent Word, Excel, Outlook and IT skills
What can we offer you
- A monthly salary (plus allowances as required)
- A house on site
- 30 days paid annual leave (increases with length of service)
- Opportunities for personal development and training
- Use of Centre facilities and equipment
- Favourable rates for family on most Abernethy holidays and camps
- Living as part of a vibrant Christian community in a fabulous location with endless opportunities for outdoor adventure
How to apply
If you wish to apply please email email@example.com with the following:
- A covering note, of not more than two pages, outlining your motivation and relevant experience for the role
- Christian faith is an Occupational Requirement for this role
- The covering letter should also include the names of three referees. Please note these referees will not be contacted without your prior agreement
- A full CV, including educational and professional qualifications, a full employment history showing positions, responsibilities held and relevant achievements
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, the successful applicant will be required to become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Scheme and the appointment will be subject to a satisfactory PVG Scheme Disclosure.
For further information call 01479 818 005, please leave a voicemail if we are unable to answer.